The quality of the plastic is first rate as one would hope, a large number of parts as befits a large model like this and a photo etch sheet as well. The photo etch is not an option, several of the parts are integral to the model. However if you are looking for loadout options you will be disappointed. The configuration shown on the box top is pretty much all you get, other than the option to double up on the Sky Shadow or BOZ pods. And although I haven't researched it, I'm not sure this particular configuration is actually one you would find very often in the real world - certainly not for all of the aircraft represented by the kit schemes, but I may stand to be corrected on that. There are four markings schemes in the kit decals, including the rather nice 9 Sqn farewell scheme. As of the time of writing the after market in 1/32 GR4 decals is woefully underserved I can only hope this changes as options are limited. Indeed, the markings I required had to be cobbled together from kit, spares and self generation.
I was attempting to replicate a specific Tornado, ZA463 as she was in 2011. This meant the kit ordnance selection was not particularly helpful. I used the kit BOZ and Sky Shadow, they seemed pretty good with the exception that the small airflow blades on the BOZ as moulded are horrible and I replaced them with spare etch. The only tanks in the kit are a pair of the massive "Hindenburg" ones and I wanted the smaller 1500L two fin tanks for this project. The only place I could get them in the end was from a spare Revell GR1 kit. But needs must. I also needed a Litening pod which came courtesy of Eduard Brassin although their one has the air vent moulded to the right hand side. Given that it is almost always carried on the left this is unfortunate but some deft work with the hacksaw sorted this out. I also needed a training GBU, and the one carried by the life model is a CPU-123. The only one of these in 1/32 that accurately represents the side strip is from ResKit but whilst otherwise good, it has awful, thick and misshaped front fins. So I managed to find some correct fins from the leftover GBUs in my spare sprues cupboard and transplanted them.
ZA463 in 2011 was a bit of a Frankenstein machine, with a multitude of technicolour panels presumably as a result of patch ups etc. So painting her was a lot of "fun". But I did apply far more coats of gloss than I normally would, in an attempt to fill out the panel lines and I think it's worked to some extent. Some of the more prominent ones got individual treatment with micro filler. I used the kit decals where I could, fortunately one of the kit schemes is a 617 sqn aircraft of the same timeframe so the stencils worked, but most of the aircraft specific markings had to be self generated.
Weathering wise, ZA463 was at this point pretty grubby. I did wash the panel lines on the underside where Tonkas get particularly dirty, but was careful not to anywhere else - those lines need no enhancing, quite the opposite. I used oil paint rub on top of the matt coat to get the general grubbiness and some pastels for the really filthy bits. The tail staining was done with a combination of thinned paint and pastels.
Full photos of the finished article below, and you can see my full progress photos here.