The BV 40V was a glider designed to be towed in to the air on a drop trolley, by a Bf110 or similar.When well above the allied bomber formations, it was to be released and free dive down on to the enemy taking out as many as it could with two 20mm guns in the wing roots before it lost the height and would then land on it's belly skid. It was a tiny machine made largely from wood and fabric. It was little more than an enclosed hang glider in which the pilot would lie prone on his front, operating rudder controls at the back of the fuselage with his feet. Fortunately for the pilots (who unofficially considered it a suicide weapon), only seven prototypes were ever built and it never saw action.
Next I installed the wing root gun housings. These are probably the poorest element of this kit. They did not fit particularly well and needed some re-shaping and plenty of filler. Also they do not actually have any gun ports on them. So before fixing them I drilled gun port holes that I would use to install gun barrels later. To add to the woes, they are not entirely symmetrical, one being very slightly larger at the rear than the other. However once installed this was not particularly noticeable.
The underside was then sprayed with RLM 76. The instructions call for RLM 65 but later war models generally used 76 so I went with my judgement there. The undersides were then masked off with Tamiya tape and the whole topside sprayed RLM 70. After removing the masks I softened the demarcation with careful airbrushing. Next I used lightened versions of the two paint tones to fade the panel areas and provided some cross hatching to represent the fabric on the wooden frame.
After another gloss coat I applied a black oil paint panel line wash which settled in to the panel lines nicely. This was followed by a dull satin coat for the final finish. I the also added some weak oil wash to the fuselage and tail side to represent water runs. I felt these were necessary if only to add a little interest to an otherwise rather plain camouflage scheme. At this point I also installed the windscreen parts. These are a little thick and not terribly clear, and I was unable to improve matters with the "dipping in Klear" technique. Also, they do not fit terribly well, with some gaps which I had to fill with PVA. But the interior is not particularly visible even without them so no matter.
The final exercise was to put the wheel trolley in place. The kit provide a basic wheel axle which fits to the belly skid. It is basic and probably not completely accurate but being underneath I left it as is. The wheels themselves are very nicely moulded in the best tradition of resin wheels. I painted these up and fixed them to the axle. The kit does not, rather annoyingly, provide the struts for the trolley (only the fixing points to the fuselage) and advises that they should be scratch built from wire. I opted to use thin styrene rod which is much easier to work with and certainly looked the part when painted up with Tamiya XF-56 metallic grey. This is, by the way, one of my favourite paints from their range. It serves very well whenever a steel effect is required, especially when dry brushed with a little silver.
And that was it! This is certainly one of the most enjoyable resin kits I have built for a very long time. It is very well engineered for this type of kit and builds to a very nice representation of this unusual aircraft. Enjoy!